size minus font plus  

  Case-filing information 




  Appellate Filer
  Clerk's Office Directory
  Electronic Payment
  Fee Schedule
  File a Document (CM/ECF)
  Forms and Instructions
  Update CM/ECF
    Appellate Filer


Home | Case-Filing | Appealing a Case in the Second Circuit | How to Appeal a Civil Case

Motion for stay

A party seeking to stay the judgment or order being appealed for the pendency of the appeal ordinarily must make that motion first in the district court. The motion may be made first to the Court of Appeals if the movant demonstrates that moving first in the district court would be impracticable or the the district court denied the motion or otherwise failed to afford the relief requested. The movant must state the reasons the district court gave for its action, if any. In addition, the motion must include the reasons for granting the relief requested, the facts upon which movant relies, affidavits supporting the facts subject to dispute, and relevant parts of the record. See FRAP 8.



Last modified at 12/22/2009