size minus font plus  

  Case-filing information 




  Appellate Filer
  Clerk's Office Directory
  Electronic Payment
  Fee Schedule
  File a Document (CM/ECF)
  Forms and Instructions
  Update CM/ECF
    Appellate Filer


Home | Case-Filing | Appealing a Case in the Second Circuit | How to Appeal a Civil Case

Permission to appeal

On occasion a district judge may issue an otherwise unappealable order in which the judge states that a controlling question of law exists as to which there is a substantial ground for a difference of opinion and an immediate appeal from the order may materially advance the outcome of the case. Upon a motion from a party made within 10 days of the date of the district court order, the Court of Appeals, as an exercise of discretion, may permit the appeal. See 28 U.S.C. ยง 1292(b).

The requirements for filing the application are set forth in FRAP 5. The filing of the application with the Court of Appeals does not stay the proceedings in the district court unless the district judge so orders.

To file a petition for permission to appeal an order granting or denying class certification, please refer to Fed. R. Civ. P. 23(f).



Last modified at 12/22/2009